Recipe: Whole Wheat Pasta Arabiatta (Spicy Red Sauce)
Ramazan unites us all with Iftar feasts and these recipes will help you prepare healthy food.
The wait is over and we all are anticipating about all the Iftar feasts that are going to pamper our cravings. One just cannot resist the thought of delicious food and scrumptious feasts that await us.
While most of people take this month of fasting as an opportunity to lose weight and make the most out of it for a healthy diet, pasta may not always be the healthiest option.
However, you can always change the rules in the kitchen and opt for a whole wheat variety. You will also have to skip the white sauce but it will still serve you with a delicious bowl of pasta!
Follow this healthy pasta recipe and trust us, no one will miss the more fattening variety. Plus, you’ll be getting constant requests for the recipe.
Whole Wheat Penne Arabiatta
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
¾ cup mushrooms, fresh or tinned (either is fine)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 heaping tsp. red chili flakes
2 tsp. mixed Italian herbs
2 tins crushed tomatoes (you can use whole tomatoes too)
1 chicken stock cube
A handful of fresh basil leaves (optional)
¼ cup Mozzarella cheese (optional)
10-12 black olives, halved
Parmesan cheese for garnishing (optional)
- Boil whole wheat pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse well.
- Place a large sauce pan or degchi on medium heat and add olive oil, onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent and slightly golden.
- Add mushrooms and cook for one minute.
- Add salt, pepper, herbs and red chili flakes. Stir well.
- Now add 2 tins of crushed tomatoes, a few basil leaves and the stock cube. Stir and set the heat to low. Simmer for at least 20 mins, stirring occasionally in between. The goal is to allow the water to evaporate from the tomatoes so you end up with a rich tomato sauce.
- Add the whole wheat penne to the sauce. Stir through.
- Add mozzarella cheese, sliced olives and some extra basil leaves to finish off.
- Serve and enjoy!
This article originally appeared on HTV.