Karachi: Security forces foil Chinese consulate terrorist attack

0 1,240

KARACHI: Three militants who tried to storm the Chinese consulate in Karachi have been killed in an exchange of fire with security forces, police said.

According to Karachi police chief, three terrorists parked their car near the consulate and tried to enter the premises.

“Police and Rangers already deployed in the area  managed to kill all three terrorists after an exchange of fire,” Ameer Sheikh, Karachi police chief, told media persons. “Two policemen have been martyred in the attack,” he said.

Sheikh further said the terrorist attack has been foiled after a successful operation.


All local and Chinese staff of the consulate is safe.

Earlier, Geo News quoted DIG South Javed Alam Odho saying two policemen have been martyred in an exchange of fire with terrorists.

He said that an advanced police party led by a senior officer has entered the consulate premises to clear the area.

According to information being received here, all three attackers have been killed by security forces and situation is under control.

Three people have been shifted to Jinnah Hospital for multiple wounds.

He said that a vehicle found near the attack side was seized to carry out investigations.

Dr Seemi Jamali, In-charge Emergency Department, confirmed to media that an injured security guard was also brought to the health facility.

According to eyewitnesses, three to four suspects possessing hand grenades and weapons the Chinese consulate in Clifton Block 4 around 9:30am.

Sources say that guards deployed at the consulate responded to the assault and repelled the attackers. Gunshots could still be heard in the area.

“Around three to four suspects attempted to enter the consulate,” eyewitnesses said.

Security forces deployed outside the Chinese consulate retaliated to the firing, eyewitnesses added.

Police officials said the suspects fired near the consulate and then hurled a hand grenade.

According to police, one terrorist has been killed and a suicide vest has been recovered from his possession.

Heavy contingents of police and Rangers have cordoned off the area.

Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah took notice of the attack and asked police to submit a report. He has directed police to beef up security presence at the consulate and protect the staff.

CM phones Chinese CG

The chief minister called Chinese Consulate General and assured him of all possible efforts to ensure the security of the staff.

The chief minister has been told that all the staff members of the consulate are safe.

According to reports, security has been bolstered at Sindh Assembly and other sensitive areas of the city.

Federal Minister Faisal Vawda, wearing a bullet-proof jacket, reached the spot and appreciated the police and Rangers for the operation.”Prime Minister Imran Khan has directed me to reach the consulate,” he said.

“Police and Rangers have done a wonderful job. Explosive material recovered from the site has been defused,” he said,

“Our security forces have thwarted an international conspiracy to attack the Consulate,” he said.